Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) - Faculty Learning Community
The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) Faculty Learning Community is open to KSU faculty members at any stage of the SoTL research process, from generating initial ideas to writing up a completed project for publication. SoTL research focuses on investigations of teaching pedagogies within a discipline or across disciplines that promote student learning in undergraduate or graduate degree programs. Participants will meet monthly to provide progress reports on their work, share ideas, develop collaborations and support, and obtain consultation from individuals who have successfully published and presented SoTL research.
Participants who successfully complete the following will receive a $1000 stipend in May 2019:
- submission of monthly progress reports during the SoTL FLC,
- attending at least 80% of all scheduled SoTL FLC meetings (monthly from August 2017 through April 2018),
- submission and delivery of a presentation or poster of the project at the 2018 Research on Teaching and Learning Summit (or similar conference), and
- proof of submission of a manuscript on the project to an academic journal prior to April 15, 2019.
Note: Faculty funds are subject to all state funding requirements. The $1000 summer salary counts toward your summer workload. In order to receive summer compensation, it is the responsibility of each faculty member to verify with their supervisor that by participating in this program you will not exceed your summer work limits.
Note: In order for the SoTL FLC to receive funding, CETL must receive qualified applications from at least 5 faculty members. If we receive fewer than 5 applications, the SoTL Funding Committee will not fund the SoTL FLC. If this happens, the CETL Associate Director for SoTL will contact applicants and will offer consultation services but will not be able to provide funding through this program.
Funding is competitive and proposals will be evaluated by the SoTL Funding Committee on the following criteria:
- RELEVANCE: The applicant's project pertains to student learning and/or teaching at KSU (or other colleges/universities). Note: Preference will be given to projects that focus on the measurement and improvement of student learning.
- READINESS: The applicant provides evidence of familiarity with relevant SoTL literature and describes prior preparations to conduct the project that demonstrates that the applicant will benefit from participation in the SoTL FLC.
- OUTCOMES: The applicant articulates a realistic plan for conducting SoTL research during the upcoming academic year that will result in submission of a finished manuscript before April 15, 2018 to a scholarly publication (e.g., peer-reviewed academic journal, edited book).
All Full-Time KSU faculty members who are expected to produce scholarship.
Note: Only one faculty member will be considered for funding per project. If you are collaborating with other faculty members, inform them prior to submitting the application. Funds are nontransferable to other uses or faculty.
Selection and Application Process
The applicant will be responsible for completing all sections of the online application (Project TItle and Project Description; see below) and for completing and uploading the SoTL FLC Program Cover Sheet and Letter of Understanding (below) with the following information:
- PROJECT TITLE: Provide a brief title of the SoTL project that may serve as a preliminary title for publication (max 20 words)
- PROJECT DESCRIPTION: Describe the project in a way that addresses the RELEVANCE, READINESS, and DESIRED OUTCOMES criteria described above (max 750 words)
- COVER SHEET: Complete the cover sheet (available below) with the following information:
- Applicant's Name, College, Department, Phone, and Email.
- Project Title (preferably no more than 20 words).
- Proposed SoTL activities/objectives each month during Fall and Spring semesters and anticipated date/venue for manuscript submission
- Names (if any) of KSU faculty collaborating on this project.
- The applicant's signature and date on the Letter of Understanding.
- The name of the applicant's Supervisor (Chair or Director; Dean if the FLC Coordinator is a Chair or Director) with the Supervisor's signature and date. (Please share your Cover Sheet, Project Description, and Desired Outcomes with your supervisor before obtaining this signature.)
Electronic Proposal Submission Guidelines: It will be the applicant's responsibility to ascertain that the proposal materials are complete when submitted:
(1) All required fields below are completed.
(2) All sections of the Cover Letter and Letter of Understanding are completed (with appropriate signatures) and uploaded as a PDF. The SoTL Funding Committee will not consider late or incomplete applications.
1. Fill out the required fields and text areas below.
2. Upload required PDF Documentation
--Using “Browse,” select the file to be uploaded
--Select "Upload", and wait for the file to complete upload.
3. Click “Submit” and when you are ready to submit your application.
4. You will receive an e-mail confirmation of receipt within 24 hours. If you do not receive the confirmation e-mail, you should immediately contact CETL in case there was an “electronic glitch.” It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the proposal was received by the deadline.