Teaching Conference Travel Funds Program
CETL will sponsor a limited number of travel funding for faculty to deliver presentations or attend conferences specifically related to teaching and student learning as it occurs in a higher education setting. The conferences can be general teaching or SoTL conferences (such as those organized by the AAC&U, ISSOTL, Lilly, etc) or they can be focused on teaching in specific disciplines. These travel funds do not support conference attendance that is simply focused on increasing one’s content knowledge in an area that the applicant may teach in courses.
Travel funds are not retroactive and are applicable only towards conferences that happen after the application deadline for the travel fund.
An applicant can apply for travel funds for up to $1,000. In order to support as many faculty members as possible, each faculty member can only receive one Travel Fund per fiscal year, and only one faculty member of a multi-authored presentation or only one member of a team attending the same conference may apply for funding.
- Tue, 09/06/16 - For travel that will be completed between September 20, 2016 and February 28, 2017
- Mon, 02/06/17 - For travel that wil be completed between March 1, 2017 and June 10th, 2017
- Mon, 04/17/17 - For travel that will be completed between June 10, 2017 and October 15, 2017
Applicants who are presenting a session must clearly articulate how the presentation is directly related to research on teaching undergraduate or graduate students. Applications for attending conferences designed to improve teaching must provide evidence that the primary focus of the majority of the conference is on teaching and student learning of students enrolled in a higher education setting.
Preference is given to applications from faculty who are:
1. presenting scholarship directly related to improving teaching and student learning with undergraduate or graduate students (highest priority)
2. receiving an award for excellence in an activity directly related to teaching and student learning
3. attending a conference that has a primary focus on improving undergraduate or graduate teaching and student learning (lowest priority)
All KSU faculty members who are under contract during the time period of the funding award are eligible to apply. Preference will be given to those who are presenting or receiving an award rather than simply attending the conference.
Selection and Application Process
Review of Project Proposals All applications will be reviewed by the SoTL Funding Committee. Applicants will be notified within a week after the committee's decision.
Applicants will need to upload the following documents as a single PDF:
1. The completed "Teaching Conference Travel Funds Program Application Cover Sheet" (see below).
2. (If presenting or receiving an award) Proof of acceptance/award (e.g., letter or email).
3. Letter of support from the applicant's immediate supervisor (Chair, Director, Dean)
It will be the responsibility of the individual submitting the proposal to ascertain that the proposal materials are complete when submitted (all documents requested are included; no materials missing). The SoTL Funding Committee will not consider late or incomplete applications.
1. Fill out the required fields and text areas below.
2. Upload required PDF Documentation
--Using “Choose File,” select the file to be uploaded
--Select "Upload", and wait for the file to complete upload.
3. Click “Submit” and when you are ready to submit your application.
4. You will receive an e-mail confirmation of receipt within 24 hours. If you do not receive the confirmation e-mail, you should immediately contact CETL in case there was an “electronic glitch.” It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the proposal was received by the deadline.