Tenured Faculty Enhancement Leave Program
This competitive award program, funded by the President and Provost, is intended to provide funding to assist tenured faculty in devoting an entire semester to foster their professional development through research, creative activity, instructional improvement, or retraining.
The Tenured Faculty Enhancement Leave Program provides the faculty member with his/her full salary and fringes for one semester (either fall or spring). The faculty member's department will receive up to $20,000 to fund faculty instructional replacement costs. During the Leave, the recipient must devote the entire semester to the Leave and not teach any courses or participate in other KSU-related activities.
Faculty member receives one semester of release time. Each department receives up to $20,000 for faculty replacement costs.
Faculty Enhancement Leave Uses and Limitations
Funded Faculty Enhancement Leave Requirements
The recipient is expected to:
Selection and Application Process
Review of Project Proposals
The KSU Faculty Development and Awards Committee (FDAC) reviews applications and awards on a competitive basis.
The following criteria guide the evaluation of proposals:
- The extent to which the proposed Leave articulates specific measurable professional development outcomes/products related to teaching, research and/or creative activity, and/or professional service.
- The extent to which the proposal clearly demonstrates how the Leave will ultimately contribute to departmental, college, and university mission and goals.
- The extent to which the proposal includes an explicit action plan and timeline that delineates a realistic and achievable schedule of short-term goals during the leave as well as long-term activities and impact.
- The extent to which the applicant has an established record of excellence in teaching, research and/or creative activity, and/or professional service. These criteria will be measured against the number of years of academic training and work experience presented in the applicant's CV.
- The extent to which there are departmental and college support and resources to sustain resulting initiatives of the applicant after the Leave. Notification of Applicants
Notification of funding decisions are sent to applicants approximately 4 weeks after the submission deadline. Upon notification of receiving the award, recipients must complete and submit a Letter of Understanding and complete the formal Leave leave request paperwork to the CETL Executive Director, who then forwards it to the Provost's Office.
Electronic Proposal Submission Guidelines:
A single electronic copy (PDF only) including the entire proposal and all supporting documentation described below must be submitted through the FDAC Application Portal. It will be the responsibility of the individual submitting the proposal to ascertain that the proposal materials are complete when submitted (all documents requested are included; no materials missing). The Faculty Development and Awards Committee (FDAC) will not consider late or incomplete applications.
1. Simply enter your NetID and Password and the application will be visible.
2. Complete the requested information. This information is to be completed by the person submitting the application.
3. Using “Choose File,” select the file to be uploaded and then click :upload.” Remember that the entire application must be submitted as a single PDF file that includes all of the content below in the order that it is listed. Please name the single PDF file as follows for easy tracking: “your last name-your first name” name of fund.pdf.
4. Click “Submit” and you are done.
5. You will receive an e-mail confirmation of receipt within 24 hours. If you do not receive the confirmation e-mail, you should immediately follow up in case there was an “electronic glitch.” It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the proposal was received by the deadline.