Year of the Portuguese Speaking World (YPSW) - Faculty Learning Community
This Faculty Learning Community is offered as part of the Year of the Portuguese Speaking World (YPSW). Faculty selected to participate in the community will work to develop a deeper appreciation for and understanding of the Portuguese Speaking World in all its complexity through diverse disciplinary perspectives.
The community will serve to connect faculty across disciplines through an exchange of ideas based on discussions of common readings and attendance at lectures, events, and other activities during the academic year. Faculty will attend selected guest lectures and group meetings as part of the experience and as preparation for a Faculty Development Seminar to Brazil in the Spring of 2016. In addition, all participants are expected to develop teaching modules about the Portuguese Speaking World and its changing contexts for use in their classes and/or with student/community organizations.
Participants will share ideas about how best to incorporate the YPSW lectures and events in their classes which in turn will impact how they see and approach future Year of programs. Selected faculty are, therefore, expected to incorporate at least two required Year of the Portuguese Speaking World lectures, events, activities and/or assignments into their syllabi for both fall and spring semester courses for a total of four events. The Faculty Development Seminar may also lead to the development of future exchanges, joint research, and study abroad programs with partners in the Portuguese Speaking World.
Participants will be encouraged to present in the YPSW series, present a topic of interest to colleagues in the Portuguese Speaking World, and/or write a paper for possible publication in the Journal of Global Initiatives Special Issue on the Portuguese Speaking World or other journals.
$1500 towards travel to the Faculty Development Seminar.
Funding is competitive and proposals will be evaluated by the SoTL Funding Committee.
As noted in the Overview of the Community, this learning community is intended for faculty:
- involved in planning for the Year of the Portuguese Speaking World at KSU; and/or
- interested in incorporating the Portuguese Speaking World related topics into an existing course/program or developing a new course/program focused on understanding the Portuguese Speaking World
- interested in developing research on or partnerships within the Portuguese Speaking World or with the local Portuguese speaking community
- All participants are required to submit a final report reflecting on and evaluating the Year of the Portuguese Speaking World Faculty Learning Community experience including an outline of specific plans for future projects and follow-up.
Note: Faculty selected to participate in the YPSW Faculty Learning Community will be eligible to receive $1500 in order to support their participation. The estimated cost of the Faculty Development Seminar will be $4000.00 and includes round trip airfare, lodging, and some meals. If for some reason, you are unable to attend the required FLC group meetings and lectures/events, you will forfeit this funding.
There are more than 25 YPSW lectures/events planned for the up-coming academic year. All of the lectures are to be held at 12:30 p.m. on Thursday afternoons. Participants are encouraged to attend as many of these lectures as possible. Beginning in August, the YPSW Faculty Learning Community will meet as a group once a month in order to plan and prepare for the Faculty Development Seminar and to discuss the lecture series and selected readings. Participants are required to attend at least 5 of the 7 scheduled group meetings and a minimum of 8 lectures/events in the YPSW series.
- Friday, September 25, 2015 @ 1-3 pm Initial meeting to go over goals of the FLC and to select lectures/events that participants plan to attend.
- Friday, October 30, 2015 @1-3 pm Share learning gained through lectures, films and reading materials. Discuss and share ideas on how the YPSW program can best be incorporated into teaching.
- Friday, November 20, 2015 @ 1-3 pm Share learning gained through lectures, films and reading materials. Discuss and share ideas on how the YPSW program can best be incorporated into teaching.
- Friday, January 29, 2016 @ 1-3 pm Share learning gained through lectures, films and reading materials. Discuss and share ideas on how the YPSW program can best be incorporated into teaching.
- Friday, February 26, 2016 @ 1-3 pm Share learning gained through lectures, films and reading materials. Discuss and share ideas on how the YPSW program can best be incorporated into teaching.
- March 28-April 12, 2016 (tentative) Seminar to Brazil, estimated cost $4000.
- Friday, April 22, 2016 @ 1-3 pm Share learning gained through lectures, films and reading materials. Discuss and share ideas on how the YPSW program can best be incorporated into teaching.
Any full-time faculty member at KSU that is under contract during FY16.
Selection and Application Process
Each applicant will submit the following documents collated in one PDF:
- A short essay (500 words max) in which you address:
--your involvement with/interest in the Year of the Portuguese Speaking World;
--how you plan to incorporate the YPSW experience into your course work or other professional activities at KSU; and
--the kind of curricular, research, and/or partnership project(s) you envision developing (be as specific as possible)
Electronic Proposal Submission Guidelines:
A single electronic copy (PDF only) including the cover sheet and all supporting documentation described above must be uploaded to the application below. It will be the responsibility of the individual submitting the proposal to ascertain that the proposal materials are complete when submitted (all documents requested are included; no materials missing). The CETL funding committee will not consider late or incomplete applications.
1. Fill out the required fields and text areas below.
2. Upload required PDF Documentation
--Using “Browse,” select the file to be uploaded
--Select "Upload", and wait until the file has completed the upload.
3. Click “Submit” and when you are ready to submit your application.
4. You will receive an e-mail confirmation of receipt within 24 hours. If you do not receive the confirmation e-mail, you should immediately contact CETL in case there was an “electronic glitch.” It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the proposal was received by the deadline.