Teaching Conference Travel Funds Program
CETL will sponsor a limited number of travel funding for faculty to deliver presentations or actively participate in conferences specifically related to teaching and student learning as it occurs in a higher education setting. The conferences can be general teaching or SoTL conferences (such as those organized by the AAC&U, ISSOTL, Lilly, etc.) or they can be focused on teaching in specific disciplines. These travel funds do not support conference attendance that is simply focused on increasing one’s content knowledge in an area that the applicant may teach courses.
Travel funds are not retroactive and are applicable only towards conferences that happen after the application deadline for the travel fund; see deadlines below.
An applicant can apply for travel funds for up to $1,000. In order to support as many faculty members as possible, each faculty member can only receive one Travel Fund per fiscal year, and only one faculty member of a multi-authored presentation or only one member of a team attending the same conference may apply for funding.
- Tue, 09/04/18 - For travel that will be completed between September 20, 2018 and February 28, 2019
- Mon, 02/04/19 - For travel that will be completed between March 1, 2019 and June 10th, 2019
- Mon, 04/15/19 - For travel that will be completed between June 11, 2019 and September 20, 2019
The SoTL Funding Committee places the highest priority on applicants who can provide evidence (e.g., a letter of acceptance from the conference coordinator) that they have been invited or accepted to present work that is directly related to college/university teaching and learning (undergraduate or graduate students). If the Committee receives more applications that it can fund, the Committee will consider collectively and holistically the following characteristics of applications:
• Scope of the conference (e.g., international, national, regional, local);
• Extent to which the conference emphasizes college/university teaching and learning;
• Extent of applicant’s involvement in the conference (e.g., multiple presentations or activities);
• Presentations that include evidence of rigorous scholarly inquiry into student learning.
The Committee may award travel funds to an applicant who is not presenting work if the applicant makes a compelling case for how attendance will improve teaching and student learning at KSU. However, these requests will receive the lowest priority for funding.
All KSU faculty members who are under contract during the time period of the funding award are eligible to apply.
Selection and Application Process
Review of Project Proposals All applications will be reviewed by the SoTL Funding Committee. Applicants will be notified within a week after the committee's decision.
Applicants will need to upload the following documents as a single PDF:
1. The completed "Teaching Conference Travel Funds Program Application Cover Sheet" (see below).
2. (If presenting, actively participating, or receiving an award):
a. Abstract/Description of the presentation/participation/award.
b. Proof of acceptance (e.g., letter/email from conference coordinator).
3. Letter of support from the applicant's immediate supervisor (Chair, Director, Dean)
It will be the responsibility of the individual submitting the proposal to ascertain that the proposal materials are complete when submitted (all documents requested are included; no materials missing). The SoTL Funding Committee will not consider late or incomplete applications.
1. Fill out the required fields and text areas below.
2. Upload required PDF Documentation
--Using “Choose File,” select the file to be uploaded
--Select "Upload", and wait for the file to complete upload.
3. Click “Submit” and when you are ready to submit your application.
4. You will receive an e-mail confirmation of receipt within 24 hours. If you do not receive the confirmation e-mail, you should immediately contact CETL in case there was an “electronic glitch.” It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the proposal was received by the deadline.