Kennesaw State University

Pedagogy and More: KSU Resources for Educators

Faculty at Kennesaw State University have access to many departments and resources that exist to support you in your work. There are so many, in fact, that it is often difficult to identify who you should go to when you need assistance. The following list will help you locate the teaching and learning supports that are relevant to your needs.


In this section, you will find information on Kennesaw State’s history, student demographics, university policies and procedures, etc.  

Where do I go to find out about student demographics, student scores, university departments, organizational charts for colleges and places on campuses?

KSU Fact Book
Published annually (most recent 2015-2016)

Where do I find more information about faculty and student procedures and policies?

KSU Faculty Handbook  (Click on Faculty Handbook, then Current Handbook).

Faculty Affairs
“This office is primarily responsible for managing policies and procedures related to faculty, overseeing faculty searches and hiring, handling faculty leaves, and coordinating faculty evaluations and reviews related to tenure, promotion and post-tenure review. This office is also responsible for providing training for faculty, administrators, and department chairs, and helping coordinate faculty development activities among several different units.”


In this section, you will find information related to using technology in your teaching.

What is University Technology Information Services (UITS)?

“UITS provides KSU with the technology necessary for faculty, staff, and students to carry out academic collaboration, research and innovation. UITS delivers the state of the art technology students require and expect for course registration, learning management, instructional classrooms, and voice/data solutions, as well as identifies and supports the administrative and computing needs of the campus."

What is Desire to Learn Brightspace (D2L)?

“Desire to Learn Brightspace (D2L) is the Learning Management System (LMS) that KSU subscribes to as an electronic means to communicate with your students. You can also use the LMS to upload assignments, use discussion boards, deliver online content, among other electronic communication and interaction with students.”

Where do I find more information about Desire to Learn Brightspace (D2L)? - D2L Brightspace Continuous Delivery - D2L Brightspace Training

Where do I put my syllabus online?

“Desire to Learn Brightspace (D2L) is the Learning Management System (LMS) that KSU subscribes to as an electronic means to communicate with your students. You can also use the LMS to upload assignments, use discussion boards, deliver online content, among other electronic communication and interaction with students.” 

What technology will exist in my classroom?

Each classroom at KSU has its own unique technologies. In order to be sure you are familiar with the systems and ensure they are in working order, you should visit your classroom before the first day of class. If you have specific needs or questions, contact UITS.

How can KSU Anywhere help me with new technology?

“KSU Anywhere is a University Information Technology Services mobile work initiative for Kennesaw State University employees. Employees of colleges and departments participating in the program may exchange their desktop computers and/or existing laptops and mobile devices for a new PC or Macintosh laptop device.”

What is the Distance Learning Center (DLC) and how can they help online instructors and students?

“The Distance Learning Center (DLC) at Kennesaw State University was established as a centralized information and support center for colleges, programs and faculty. Technological support, instructional design, and access to campus wide resources in training and development are readily available. Focus is placed on collegiality, recognition of the faculty as subject matter experts, and the underlying philosophy that faculty members need not be technologists. Distance learning innovation, best practices, and a focus on 21st century learning are part of our growth and quality objectives.” 

What technology can I use in my class that is supported by our UITS department?

Here is a list of some of the technologies, applications, and software, however there are many more options provided through UITS. Check the UITS website for a comprehensive list, or contact UITS for more information.

  • Adobe Captivate
  • Blackboard Collaborate Ultra
  • Camtasia
  • Collaborate
  • D2L Brightspace
  • iClicker
  • Kahoot!
  • MediaSpace
  • Moodle
  • Panopto
  • Prezi
  • Respondus
  • SMART Board
  • SoftChalk
  • TurnItIn
  • VoiceThread

What do I do if my students or I have a question about how to use technology?

The KSU Service Desk is your portal to getting assistance or access to University IT Services.

Faculty / Staff: 470–578-6999


Students: 470-578-3555


More information: (Click on Support on left side menu)

What is Owl Express?

Owl Express is the university’s portal where faculty can access information on their own and student records. You may hear Owl Express referred to as Banner. Banner is the system that maintains all of our academic records. Owl Express is the portal by which faculty can access some of the data found in Banner. There are multiple tabs available in Owl Express depending on your employment classifications, the most common of these are described below. 

Employee Services allows you to pay for parking, parking tickets, and load your KSU card with funds for food purchases on campus.

Faculty Services in Owl Express is where you can view your course schedule and roster--you can even view a photo roster of your students here. This is also where you will post students’ final grades at the end of each term.



In this section, you will find information on campus policies and procedures, as well as how to organize and manage your classes and students.


What is the registration process for KSU students?

Registration and adjusting schedules, including dropping and adding of classes, is one of several options available to students in Owl Express. 

What grades can students receive?

For information about what grades students can receive, consult the Faculty Handbook Section: 2.9. Grading

What are the add/drop dates for my course? What does that mean?

A Drop/Add session is offered to students during the first week of classes for the fall and spring. This provides the opportunity for students to rearrange their schedules. Specific dates are provided in the Academic calendar.

When are the academic holidays? When is the university closed? 

The academic calendar provides all of the academic holidays observed by the university.

Academic calendar is provided for your planning.

What do I do if there is inclement weather and the university is closed?

If the university is closed due to inclement weather it will be posted on the Kennesaw State Home Page: Kennesaw State uses an “opt-out” system for campus alerts, so unless you have chosen not to, you will receive notifications via email, text, and a voice call. All emergency notifications are also pushed to all of KSU’s social media accounts.

How do I enter final grades?

Final grades are entered through the Faculty Services tab in Owl Express.

How do I order books for my classes?

Book orders are handled differently depending on the department in which you teach. Ask your department’s administrative associate about how to submit your book order. 

How do I use Library Course Reserves?

The library can put books on reserve for your students to use in your courses. You can read about course reserves and contact the library at the following link: 

How do I get copies made for my class?

KSU Print allows you to upload your print jobs from your personal or work device, and then access them from any printer on campus. “This way you can access your print queue from anywhere on campus.”

How do I get into my classroom?

How do I get a University ID or a parking permit?

KSU Card Services is a resource for getting your KSU ID card, parking credentials, key access, etc. Please review the website below more information.

What is the campus police information? 

KSU Public Safety and University Police “protects and serves the campus community and visitors by providing professional public safety services and a safer campus through community partnerships with a commitment to education, as a teaching police department and public safety agency.” Consider saving their contact information:

Emergencies: 470-578-6666 or 770-423-6666

Non-Emergencies: 470-578-6206

Non-Emergency E-mail:

Tipster Line (Report Anonymously): 470-578-6305

Who is my Human Resources Benefits Specialist?

Human Resources provides information and assistance for numerous situations. Please consult their website for a thorough listing:
To find your Human Resources Benefits Specialist:

How do I get paid?

Human Resources also provides information about payroll. The HR website for payroll has information about processing, procedures, forms, taxes, etc. 

If I am a part time instructor, how do I keep track of my hours? What hours do I need to track?

Tracking hours and knowing what to track can be complicated for part-time instructors. Faculty Affairs created the following table to help part-time faculty know what counts as hours worked:

For information on how to access the system to log your hours worked and/or how to do that, visit the Payroll webpage and click on “*NEW* Record Part-time Faculty Hours - All hours worked”: 


This section addresses the services that are in place to help and support Kennesaw State students. 

How do I help a student who has disabilities?

“Student Disability Services (SDS) is the first contact for students with disabilities to arrange accommodations and locate campus and community resources. To access accommodations, students must first connect with SDS and provide the appropriate documentation as outlined by the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia. Documentation submitted to SDS remains confidential within SDS and is not shared with third parties without written permission from the student. SDS assists in identifying appropriate accommodations and it is the student’s responsibility to submit notice of accommodations to instructors and campus departments as needed.” 

What do I do if I have students who are not getting along with me or other students in the class?

Behavior Response Team

“Kennesaw State University seeks to foster a proactive climate of care that can only be achieved through cooperative input from the entire community. To that end, KSU has created a Behavioral Response Team (BRT) that takes a planned approach to identifying and assisting individuals who are distressed and/or exhibiting abnormal, threatening, or dangerous behavior. Through early identification, the team can connect individuals of concern with the resources they need to succeed and hopefully prevent crises. The BRT is a multidisciplinary team that meets regularly to assess and manage concerns that have been brought to the attention of the team.” 

KSU Ombuds

“An Ombuds provides confidential and informal assistance in the resolution of university-related concerns, especially those not being addressed adequately through normal procedures. He or she is an independent person who attempts to consider all sides of an issue in an impartial and objective manner. An Ombuds cannot impose solutions but can help identify options and strategies for resolution.”

What psychological services are available for students? How do I send a student for these services?

“Counseling and Psychological Services supports the academic mission of Kennesaw State University by enhancing students’ educational, career, personal and interpersonal development. We provide a wide range of service, including psychoeducational workshops aimed at helping students develop skills for managing the stress of college, group counseling focused on helping student better manage emotions and navigate their relationships, individual counseling for a wide range of mental wellness concerns, as well as psychiatric medication evaluation and treatment. When seeking services, all students start by meeting with a counselor during our Let's Hoot Walk-In Consultation Hours.” 

Is there a place for our homeless students or students who need food and a place to sleep? 

“The Campus Awareness, Resource & Empowerment (CARE) Services offers support to students who have experienced homelessness, food insecurity and/or the foster care system.

The CARE Services provides both on and off campus resources, operates the campus food pantry, provides personal care items and assists in accessing temporary and/or permanent housing.  Also the CARE Services collaborates with various KSU departments such as Admissions, Financial Aid, Residence Life, etc. in an effort to help students better navigate the KSU campus.”

Where can my international students go to get assistance?

“At the ESL Center, KSU IEP, undergraduate, and graduate international students can receive tutoring in writing, reading, pronunciation, and presentation skills, as well as advising for their general education (core) requirements and mentoring. Appointments are usually, but not always, necessary.”



Where can my students get academic support?

SMART Center

The Science and Math Academic Resource and Tutoring (SMART) Center has people and resources to help with most freshman and sophomore mathematics and chemistry classes at KSU. No appointments are necessary to use the SMART Center’s services; students may stop by anytime we are open for help in their classes.

KSU Writing Center

“The KSU Writing Center is a resource available to all members of the KSU Community who want to become better writers and produce better writing. Our staff is composed of an eclectic mix of dedicated undergraduate students, graduate students, and faculty members who are passionate about writing. The Center itself is intended to be a safe, friendly place where all writers will feel comfortable receiving feedback on their work.”

Supplemental Instruction

“Our mission is to provide an environment that increases the learning and retention of all students enrolled in courses supported by the SI program. Our program consists of SI leaders (students who are academic facilitators) who can help you develop the thinking and reasoning skills necessary to succeed in historically difficult courses. SI leaders are empathetic listeners, resource guides, and most of all, supportive peers.” 


In this section, you will find information about the different centers and departments that can help you with teaching.

Where I get support with my teaching?

“The Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) promotes research based pedagogies that foster student academic engagement, learning, and success. CETL supports the integrated professional development of students, faculty, and administrators throughout their careers. Rooted in learning science and assessment theory, CETL cultivates a data-driven campus-wide culture of ongoing academic program enhancement.”

CETL provides opportunities through workshops, webinars, institutes, etc, for faculty to learn more about teaching, learning and instructional strategies. CETL offers assistance for all faculty (part-time, full-time, temporary, etc), faculty who teach in any modality (online, hybrid, or f2f), and faculty at any point in their career (early, mid to late).

CETL offers services such as classroom observations, student focus groups, syllabi review, poster printing, faculty funding, etc. Also, visit the website for resource articles written by the faculty and staff of CETL.

Contact info:



What is the KSU policy for Academic Integrity?

The KSU Academic Integrity statement is found in the faculty handbook in section 2.13.

The Department of Student Conduct and Academic Integrity is available for assistance on academic integrity and student conduct issues.

For information directly related to Academic Misconduct, faculty should consult:

For information directly related to Student Code of Conduct, consult:

Where can I get resources to assist me in teaching?

“The Teacher Resource & Activity Corner, TRAC, is a curriculum center designed to help education students, educators, and community members plan and prepare effective and creative classroom instruction and activity. You can check out books, manipulatives, or other teaching aids, as well as use the workroom. See the website for a complete listing.

How can the library help with my teaching?

The library offers many different services, from faculty services, study rooms, course reserves, research assistance, and borrowing from other libraries. Their extensive website provides searchable access to the books and resources located in the library. The library can assist students, as well as faculty.